888 W. Big Beaver Road Suite 777
Troy, Michigan 48084
P: 248.269.1122 F: 248.269.8202
Emmy award-winning business editor at WDIV-TV where he is responsible for all business, automotive, finance and personal finance coverage, Rod Meloni joined WDIV in 1995 after working as an anchor, reporter and investigative reporter in Saginaw, Michigan and Tampa and Miami, Florida. Currently president of Detroit’s Automotive Press Association, he is the first working journalist to pass the Certified Financial Planner Professional exam and attain Certified Financial Planner status.
1. Without revealing any secrets, can you tell us what types of stories, trends or issues are on your radar now?
State revenues down, tax money owed by well-known companies. Big into senior financial abuse.
2. Tell us about your dream assignment.
Breaking a big story that goes national.
3. Describe the craziest or most fun story you’ve written.
Impossible to say, in 35 years there are too many to recount. “written” is also a strange question because we create television, which requires writing, video, interviews and creativity in story-telling. There are many fun stories to look back on like driving 140 miles per hour in a Ford GT, helping solve people’s problems. I get great joy from stories about people who you didn’t know, but have done extraordinary things. Am getting a kick out of explaining personal finance on camera these days.
4. What is your top pet peeve with PR people?
They pitch me a story, I call to do it and they can’t deliver on the promise or are incapable of making a story happen right away. Also continuing to email me after I’ve removed my email address from their push lists.
5. Tell us a little about yourself (family, interests, favorites, background, etc.)
Have three daughters, two out of college, one headed there soon. Wife is a teacher. We are big on family. We do a lot of home rehab. My fun is a 20’ Four Winns Horizon boat we take around the state. Can’t get enough of the big water in Michigan.
6. Finish this sentence: People would be surprised to know that I spent a decade in “spare time” to become a Certified Financial Planner™ Professional.
You can follow Rod on Twitter at @rodmeloni.