901 Tower Drive Suite 420
Troy, Michigan 48098
In early 2008, Brooks Kushman – a full-service intellectual property and technology law firm – committed to growing its efforts to increase and retain diverse professionals. After conducting research to get a “pulse” on comparable law firms’ diversity efforts, Bianchi PR suggested a targeted media relations campaign.
As part of the effort, Bianchi PR took a multi-faceted approach that included: development of a variety of news angles related to issues and trends; pitching and coordinating interviews with target corporate, legal and business publications; pitching diversity-related articles and byline articles; research and pursuit of diversity-related awards and listing opportunities; and promotion of diversity efforts on the Brooks Kushman website.
This successful campaign:
• Increased awareness of Brooks Kushman’s diversity efforts;
• Helped differentiate the firm from those with more traditional staff;
• Witnessed an increase in the number of minority legal professionals at the firm;
• Helped grow the number of female legal professionals to the highest amount in firm history;
• Helped to improve the retention rate of diverse candidates; and
• Established Brooks Kushman’s Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) as a thought leader in diversity among law firms.
(Special thanks to Phyllis Golden Morey, former shareholder and CDO at Brooks Kushman, for allowing us to work on this special project.)
BPR’s Top 25 PR Projects is a biweekly profile highlighting some of our favorite client projects, as we commemorate Bianchi PR’s 25th year in business.